Now I am an expert when it comes to exercise and keeping healthy, but even I get confused these days. There is just so much information on the net, TV and radio about fitness. Each day we’re bombarded with the ‘best new product for this’, the latest and greatest for this’, and it sends me into a spin, so I can only imagine how confused you guys must be.
So in my first post for HIF I’ve come up with a list of my FUN FITNESS FACTS to do my bit to cut through the pile of discarded ab rollers, vibrating platforms, thigh masters and my personal favourite, the sauna belt.
I would love to get your comments, if you’ve got any questions on fitness you’d like me to answer simply complete the
online comment form. I’m here to help!
10 FUN FITNESS FACTS
1. You are never too old to build muscle.
My oldest client is 93 and she trains with me twice per week and lifts 5kg dumbells. Age is no barrier to getting stronger.
2. A muscle dehydrated by a mere 3% will have a decrease in strength of 10%.
Always have water handy when exercising it’s the most powerful ‘supplement’ on the market.
3. The more muscle you have, the more energy your body uses at rest.
Adding some muscle to your body is a great way to help shed some body fat. The more muscle you have generally the faster your metabolism, and the greater amount of fat you use while resting.
4. You can lose fat and still gain muscle, so you can gain weight but lose fat.
Throw out your scales, such a poor way to measure your progress. Scales are so demoralising and I’m not in favour of their use. What your body is made of is of much more significance that what you weigh.
5. There’s a high correlation between the fitness level of the people close to you, and your own physical fitness.
Find yourself some fit friends!
6. People who exercise outdoors burn more fat than those training inside.
I love this one because I’m an ‘outdoorsie’ type, love the beach, the wind, anything natural. Combining being outside with exercise seems to me to be the perfect antidote for our modern, indoor lifestyle.
7. It takes twice as long to lose muscle as it does to build it, muscle builds fast.
Now that’s good news, you’ll be showing off ‘your guns’ in no time (sorry that’s my gym speak, I meant to say ‘toned arms’)
8. There is no ‘best time’ to exercise.
The real and only best time is whatever works for you - Do it when you can, as often as you can, and make it something you enjoy. I have 3 kids, a wife, a business, I understand it can be hard to get some training done, to fit it all in. But it’s important, maybe it’s not urgent (yet) but regular exercise is important.
9. Regular exercise is linked to a better sex life.
That’s a good enough reason for me!
10. Sleep is the most important factor is fat burning.
Studies show the more you sleep the more fat you burn. The longer you’re awake the slower your metabolism, as your brain attempts to preserve energy. Studies show 8.5 hours to be the optimum amount of sleep.