We might be into a new year, with the ‘naughty food’ season behind us, but healthy food doesn’t need to be boring. If you’re the kind of person who likes an explosion of different flavours and textures, then this salad is definitely for you. This recipe by Scrummy Lane combines crunchy broccoli, fresh apple, sharp cheddar cheese, flavoursome bits of bacon, salty peanuts, a zing of raw onion and a creamy and light dressing. Delicious by itself or you can serve it with grilled fish or meat too. We hope you enjoy!
For the salad
5 - 6 rashers of bacon, sliced into small pieces
a little oil of your choice for cooking the bacon
1 small to medium head of broccoli, thoroughly washed
2 small apples
½ a lemon
1 small onion, chopped finely
about 60 grams strong cheddar cheese, grated (about a full ½ a cup)
1 large handful of salted peanuts
freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
½ a cup Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons mustard
1 tablespoon honey
- Fry the bacon in the oil until starting to crisp, then set aside (8 - 10 minutes).
- Discard the ‘woody’ end part of the broccoli stalk, then chop the rest of the stalk finely. Then separate the broccoli heads into really small florets. Put the florets and chopped stalk into a large bowl.
- Slice the apple (no need to peel) into small pieces and put them into a small bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon all over the apple, then add the apple and any extra juice to the large bowl with the broccoli.
- Now add the onion, cheese and peanuts.
- Stir all of the dressing ingredients together well in a medium-sized bowl, then add to the salad. Add black pepper to taste. Mix really well.
- You could substitute the apple for grapes and the peanuts for pecans or walnuts if you like. This salad is also delicious with a handful of raisins added.