You don't get a second chance with your health, but you CAN get a second opinion!
At HIF, we're here to make it as easy as possible to get the medical treatment and advice you need, when you need it. But medical conditions and treatments are complex things, and sometimes you need a little extra support - which is where HIF Second Opinion comes in. HIF Second Opinion is a complementary service for HIF members who have Gold Star Hospital, Silver Plus Hospital or Premium Options Extras cover.
It gives you and your family instant access to the global Best Doctors' network, which has changed and saved thousands of lives around the world. From providing peace of mind, through radically improving treatment, outcomes and even saving lives, this unique service gives you remote access to some of the medical profession’s leading minds – 50,000 medical experts spanning 40 specialties and 430 subspecialties.
You can use HIF Second Opinion to tap into specialist medical advice on any medical or health concern - from allergies and minor injuries to life threatening conditions such as cancer - whether you want a complete case review, or just some information, answers or peace of mind.
Simply call the dedicated HIF Second Opinion hotline to Best Doctors on 1800 117 092 to get started. When you call, the Best Doctors team will take your details and arrange for the most qualified expert in their global network to review your case. The expert will then send you a report 15-20 days after Best Doctors has received all of your medical records*, detailing their view on your diagnosis and treatment plan, as well as answering any questions you have about your condition.
Mental Health Navigator by Best Doctors.
Best Doctors Mental Health Navigator program provides virtual access to a crossfunctional team of leading psychologists and psychiatrists in Australia. These professionals assess members facing a mental health condition to ensure they have the right diagnosis and treatment plan all from the comfort of your own home. It offers a discreet, quick and confidential way to seek help if you or a family member is experiencing a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety. Mental Health Navigator is a complementary service for HIF members who have Gold Star Hospital, Silver Plus Hospital or Premium Options Extras cover. Simply call 1800 830 082 the dedicated hotline to start a free review today.
Mental Health Navigator helps people who:
- Struggle with stress, anxiety, or depression
- Are unsure about a diagnosis for a mental health condition
- Have a mental health issue but do not see a mental health professional
- Need help understanding their mental health condition
The Mental Health Navigator program achieves improved outcomes by:
- Having mental healthcare experts review and, when needed, modify diagnoses and treatment plans made by primary care providers
- Providing members with a customised action plan that includes linking them with the best resources for their care
- Coordinating with general practitioners, ensuring consistency of care
- Providing support for members as they navigate the mental healthcare system
Frequently asked questions.
Why is HIF Second Opinion so important?
Medical professionals are incredibly well trained. However, doctors and specialists are only human. Mistakes happen. New treatments are constantly being developed. New drugs are continually coming to the market. That’s why, if you have the opportunity, seeking a second opinion makes sense.
More often than not, a second opinion from Best Doctors confirms the original diagnosis, providing peace of mind that your treatment plan is correct. Sometimes, Best Doctors’ experts are able to suggest a more effective treatment plan. And crucially, there have been occasions when the global Best Doctors network has saved people’s lives by identifying a misdiagnosis (check out some of the case studies further down this page).
What conditions are covered by HIF Second Opinion?
The Best Doctors service enables you to get a second opinion on a host of issues, ranging from life-threatening conditions of the vital organs, including cancer, through to less serious but disruptive conditions, such as allergies and orthopaedic conditions, such as back injuries. With Mental Health Navigator you now have support for mental health conditions with access to leading Australian clinical psychologists and psychiatrists and a dedicated mental health nurse.
What else can I use HIF Second Opinion for?
In addition to our main second opinion service, eligible members can also access heaps of extra benefits through the Best Doctors' online medical portal.
- Ask an experienced GP: If you've got a medical question, hop online and ask our panel of experienced Australian GPs for an answer or explanation (you'll get a response within 48 hours)
- Do your own research: Relying on Dr Google for medical information can be dangerous. Now you can use Best Doctors' extensive online medical encyclopedia and video library instead.
- Give yourself a health check: Use Best Doctors' online symptom checker and easy-to-use health and wellness calculators to give yourself a health check.
- Find a recommended specialist: Take the uncertainty out of choosing the best medical practitioner or specialist. Get a local peer-approved recommendation right here.
- Access expert insights: Get specialist advice, without a full medical review - we'll refer your case to a leading international expert and you'll get a detailed report within seven days.
- Mental health: A full review and second opinion on your diagnosis and treatment plan for mental health conditions from leading Australian-based clinical psychologists and psychiatrists and support from a dedicated mental health nurse.
Do you have any case studies available so I can see how the service works?
Absolutely! Here are five for starters...
- Saving David’s life: The treatment for David’s rheumatoid arthritis was causing his body to waste away. Read about how Best Doctors got to the root of the problem and saved David’s life. View case file
- Enabling Holly to walk: Holly’s treatment for a tumour had left her with a broken leg that wouldn’t heal. Read about how Best Doctors got Holly on her feet and walking again. View case file
- Managing Susan’s debilitating pain: Susan was unable to work because of chronic pain from her diagnosed condition, polymyalgia. Read about how Best Doctors found the correct diagnosis and pain management plan. View case file
- Giving Susanna her life back: A tailbone injury was forcing Susanna to spend 20 hours a day lying down. Read about how Best Doctors enabled Susanna to manage her condition and get her life back. View case file
- Providing certainty for Tim: The unpredictable nature of Tim’s Multiple Sclerosis made the future uncertain for him. Read about how Best Doctors found the best way for Tim to manage his condition. View case file
Top 5 critical conditions assessed by Best Doctors.
- Heart conditions
- Autoimmune disorders
- Digestive system disorders
- Disorders of the nervous system
Top 5 non-critical conditions assessed by Best Doctors.
- Skin conditions
- Ear, nose and throat
HIF Second Opinion video resources.
Darren Reynolds, Managing Director of Best Doctors, joined the team at Everyday Health TV to provide further information on this incredible service.
Listen to Michael's Story
Watch this short video to listen to Michael's story and learn how a second opinion from Best Doctors helped his son to live with the rare condition, spinal syrinx.
Listen to Adam's Story
Watch this short video to hear Adam's story and learn how a second opinion from Best Doctors helped him recover from a rare, aggressive (and previously un-diagnosed) form of skin cancer...
How Mental Health Navigator works: Not a Gold Star or Premium Options member?
Don’t worry. Upgrading your HIF cover or switching to HIF from another health fund is easy. In fact, we’ll take care of all the paperwork for you. Call 1300 134 060 to speak to a member of our team about upgrading your cover or switching, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Timeframes may be longer if we need to retest pathology