Make empowered health decisions.
From providing peace of mind, through radically improving treatment, outcomes and even saving lives, this unique service gives you remote access to some of the medical profession’s leading minds across more than 450 specialities and sub-specialities of medicine. You can use HIF Second Opinion to tap into specialist medical advice on any medical or health concern - from allergies and minor injuries to life threatening conditions such as cancer - whether you want a complete case review, answers to make informed decisions on your health, or just some general advice.
How do I get started?
Simply call the dedicated HIF Second Opinion hotline to Best Doctors on 1800 830 082 to get started. When you call, the Best Doctors team will take your details and arrange for the most qualified expert in their global network to review your case. With your consent, Best Doctors' will receive all of your medical records, and a global expert matched to your case will send you a detailed report with their view on your diagnosis and treatment plan, as well as answering any questions you have about your condition.
Mental Health Navigator by Best Doctors.
Best Doctors Mental Health Navigator program provides virtual access to a cross functional team of leading psychologists and psychiatrists in Australia. These professionals can assess and review members mental health condition’s, modify diagnosis or treatment and provide guidance needed to make progress, all from the comfort of your own home. It offers a discreet, straightforward and confidential way to seek help if you or a family member is experiencing a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety. Mental Health Navigator is a complementary service for HIF Members. Simply call 1800 830 082, the dedicated hotline, to start a free review today.
Mental Health Navigator helps people who:
- Struggle with stress, anxiety, or depression
- Are unsure about a diagnosis for a mental health condition
- Have a mental health issue but do not see a mental health professional
- Need help understanding their mental health condition
The Mental Health Navigator program achieves improved outcomes by:
- Having mental healthcare experts review and, when needed, modify diagnoses and treatment plans made by primary care providers
- Providing Members with a customised action plan that includes linking them with the best resources for their care
- Coordinating with general practitioners, ensuring consistency of care
- Providing support for Members as they navigate the mental healthcare system
Who is eligible?
View our Hospital and/or Extras Comparison tables to see if you hold an eligible level of cover.
Frequently asked questions.
Why is HIF Second Opinion so important?
When it comes to your health, it’s important you feel comfortable about the decisions you make.
More often than not, a second opinion from Best Doctors confirms the original diagnosis, providing peace of mind that your treatment plan is correct. Sometimes, Best Doctors’ experts are able to suggest a more effective treatment plan. And crucially, there have been occasions when the global Best Doctors network has saved people’s lives by identifying a misdiagnosis. Other benefits include:
- Total confidentiality: Reports or medical information gathered is not shared with your insurer without your consent.
- Heavy lifting: Best Doctors will collect all your medical records, pathology and imaging, so you don’t have to.
- Fully virtual: Gain clarity from the comfort of your home.
- Leading medical specialists: Internationally recognised specialists will review your case according to your specific medical needs.
- No cost: These services are available at no cost to you and your eligible dependants.
What conditions are covered by HIF Second Opinion?
The Best Doctors service enables you to get a second opinion on a range of issues, ranging from life-threatening conditions of the vital organs, including cancer and heart issues, through to less serious but disruptive conditions, such as allergies, digestive and stomach issues and orthopaedic conditions, such as back injuries. With Mental Health Navigator you also have support for mental health conditions with access to leading Australian clinical psychologists and psychiatrists and a dedicated mental health nurse.
What else can I use HIF Second Opinion for?
In addition to our main second opinion service, eligible Members can also access a range of extra benefits through the Best Doctors' online medical portal.
- Ask a GP: If you've got a medical question, hop online and ask a panel of experienced Australian GPs for an answer or explanation (you'll get a response within 48 hours)
- Find a recommended specialist: Take the uncertainty out of choosing the best medical practitioner or specialist. Contact Best Doctors and they can provide you with their best recommendations.
- Access expert insights: Get specialist advice, without a full medical review - we'll refer your case to a leading global expert who will review your medical records and provide
- Mental health: A full review and second opinion on your diagnosis and treatment plan for mental health conditions from leading Australian-based clinical psychologists and psychiatrists and support from a dedicated mental health nurse.
Do you have any case studies available so I can see how the service works?
Absolutely! Here are five for starters...
- Saving David’s life: The treatment for David’s rheumatoid arthritis was causing his body to waste away. Read about how Best Doctors got to the root of the problem and saved David’s life. View case file
- Enabling Holly to walk: Holly’s treatment for a tumour had left her with a broken leg that wouldn’t heal. Read about how Best Doctors got Holly on her feet and walking again. View case file
- Managing Susan’s debilitating pain: Susan was unable to work because of chronic pain from her diagnosed condition, polymyalgia. Read about how Best Doctors found the correct diagnosis and pain management plan. View case file
- Giving Susanna her life back: A tailbone injury was forcing Susanna to spend 20 hours a day lying down. Read about how Best Doctors enabled Susanna to manage her condition and get her life back. View case file
- Providing certainty for Tim: The unpredictable nature of Tim’s Multiple Sclerosis made the future uncertain for him. Read about how Best Doctors found the best way for Tim to manage his condition. View case file
HIF Second Opinion video resources.
Darren Reynolds, Managing Director of Best Doctors, joined the team at Everyday Health TV to provide further information on this incredible service.
Listen to Michael's Story
Watch this short video to listen to Michael's story and learn how a second opinion from Best Doctors helped his son to live with the rare condition, spinal syrinx.
Listen to Adam's Story
Watch this short video to hear Adam's story and learn how a second opinion from Best Doctors helped him recover from a rare, aggressive (and previously un-diagnosed) form of skin cancer...