Yes. We cover all types of couples and families, and we were the first private health fund to add its corporate voice to the Australian Marriage Equality campaign. If you'd like to chat to one of our consultants about joining HIF, or you'd like to add your partner to your existing policy, please send us an email or call 1300 13 40 60.
What about people who are transgender or non-binary gender?
HIF has covered same-sex couples for decades and we of course welcome new customers who are transgender or non-binary gender. To ensure the needs of our non-binary gender members are met, our system allows for a third option in the gender category which can be left blank if required; and for transgender people, we are happy to cover those customers based on their gender identity. After all, our members’ happiness and wellbeing is our number one priority at all times. If transgender customers also wish to update their name on their HIF membership, we can do that as soon as legal proof of their name change is supplied (e.g. an updated driver’s license showing that Mr John Smith is now Ms Joan Smith). And in terms of our insurance itself, we can pay benefits on Sex Reassignment Surgery for members who hold an appropriate level of private hospital insurance. More information on that is available here.
“I needed to call up HIF and add my partner to my membership. I doubt that someone in a heterosexual relationship has ever thought twice about something so simple, but it can still be a big deal for some organisations to do this. In turn this simple task turns into something where, when you are in a same-sex relationship, you need to take a deep breath and brace for what might come on the other end of the phone. With HIF it was the easiest and most non-event that I have ever experienced. Exactly like it should be. It is great that more and more organisations are choosing from their own free will to be on the right side of history despite what may happen to their customer base.” - Dean Caines from NSW
Video Testimonial: In this quick clip, HIF members Kate & Laura discuss the importance of being with a health insurer that shares the same values as them. 👩❤️👩
HIF Executive Manager, Anne Humphrey, discusses our same-sex couples cover with Everyday Health TV
Latest press on HIF:
*Terms and conditions of this promotion
- To qualify for HIF's bonus $50 cashback offer, the applicant must purchase a health insurance policy directly from HIF (online via hif.com.au or by calling 1300 13 40 60), and mention the promo code "LOVE50" at the time of joining;
- The $50 cashback bonus will be paid to the member in the form of a branded HIF eftpos card, which will be posted out to the new member approximately six weeks after the applicant's nominated policy commencement date;
- This offer is available to new HIF members only (ex members re-joining HIF within five years of their previous cover will not be eligible);
- This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer from HIF; and
- This promotion is not available to HIF staff, directors, or their immediate families.
- If you have any questions about this promotion, or would like to find out more about HIF, please email firstname.lastname@example.org