Important points to know when making your claim
- You have completed the claim form
- You have attached a relevant veterinary history if this is your first claim (no history is required for Routine Care claims)
- You have attached the original/copies of itemised invoices and receipts
- You and your vet have signed the form
- Up to 80% of your pet’s eligible veterinary bills covered
- We aim to have your claim processed within five working days
- Payments can either be made directly into your bank account or by cheque.
If your Pet requires Treatment and you wish to seek pre-approval of those costs you can provide us with:
- the itemised estimate of costs from Your Vet,
- with the Treatment required and
- relevant clinical records and/or veterinary history.
We will respond to you in writing with the outcome.
A pre-approval shall not be deemed to be valid unless we have agreed to it in writing. The reimbursed amount may vary from the pre-approval if the Treatment provided by your Vet differs from the Treatment request in the pre-approval.
To request a pre-approval:
Call us: 1300 070 946
Email us: email@example.com
ELECTRONICALLY BY YOUR VET
More than 1,050 Vets across Australia can submit your pet insurance claim for you in-clinic electronically – otherwise known as an eClaim. This is the next fastest way to claim, with claims typically processed within five business days. This service is available with all HIF pet insurance policies.
ELECTRONICALLY THROUGH AN ONLINE CUSTOMER SERVICE PORTAL
All HIF pet insurance policies will come with access to an online customer service portal, that conveniently houses key policy documents for easy reference, and features to submit a pet insurance claim online and track its progress in real-time. Outside of submitting an eClaim through your Vet, this is the next fastest way to claim, with the added benefit of being available 24/7 online.
How to make a claim online via PetPortal:
- An existing member: please visit the pet portal to submit your claim.
- New member: you will be sent an e-mail/text message to sign-up to pet portal
Steps to make a claim:
- Simply upload a copy of both the itemised invoice and the consultation notes from your vet visit.
- In some instances, we may require more information to process your claim, such as relevant medical history or pathology/laboratory results. If this is the case, we will contact you for this information.
- If your pet was adopted at an older age, please supply adoption paperwork and relevant medical records since adoption.
Our pet portal helps you:
- Lodge, track and manage your claims
- Update your payment details
- Update your personal details
- Update your vet details
- View and download your policy documents
- View our Help Centre which helps answer common questions on claims, premiums, product features and much more.
Our online pet portal will help you manage as much as possible online.
Pet Portal Login Register for portal
POSTING A PAPER CLAIM
The final way to submit a pet insurance claim is to fill out a claim form together with your Vet, and ensure supporting Vet invoices and clinical notes are included for assessment before posting it in. Once the claim is received in the mail it will typically be processed within five business days, so it may take a little longer for you to be reimbursed for eligible claims compared to the other methods.
If you would prefer to send us your claim through the post, please ensure you have completed the following additional steps:
- Print a claim form and fill in your details.
- Take it with you to the vet and ask them to fill out Section 2. Both you and your vet will need to sign the form.
- Attach the original itemised invoices, payment receipts and consultation notes and post them to the following address:
HIF Pet Insurance
Locked Bag 9021,
Castle Hill, NSW 1765
NOTE: If this is your first claim of your cover you’ll need to ask your vet to provide the relevant available veterinary history (medical records) for your pet that you need to include with your completed claim form