What is 'Bone, joint and muscle' services?
Hospital treatment for the investigation and treatment of diseases, disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system. For example: carpal tunnel, fractures, hand surgery, joint fusion, bone spurs, osteomyelitis and bone cancer.
- Chest surgery is listed separately under Lung and chest.
- Spinal cord conditions are listed separately under Brain and nervous system.
- Spinal column conditions are listed separately under Back, neck and spine.
- Joint reconstructions are listed separately under Joint reconstructions.
- Joint replacements are listed separately under Joint replacements.
- Podiatric surgery performed by a registered podiatric surgeon is listed separately under Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon).
- Management of back pain is listed separately under Pain management. Pain management that requires a device is listed separately under Pain management with device.
- Chemotherapy and radiotherapy for cancer is listed separately under Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer.
Which level of Hospital cover includes these services?
To find out which level of Hospital cover includes bone, joint and muscle, please refer to our Hospital Comparison Table.
What MBS item numbers are included in the Bone, joint and muscle category?
Please refer to privatehealth.gov.au for MBS item numbers that are included in the 'Bone, joint and muscle' services category.
Important, please note.
The MBS item numbers listed will attract benefits from HIF provided that (a) the code forms part of a hospital inpatient admission; (b) the Member holds an eligible Hospital Cover product; and (c) the Member has served the necessary waiting periods. To search for more information on a particular item code, simply copy and paste the code into Medicare's online search function.