You may have heard us mention ‘AccessGap Cover’ before, but what is it exactly? Well, some doctors may charge more than the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS), leaving patients who don’t have gap cover insurance with (sometimes significant) out-of-pocket expenses for the difference between the fee charged and the MBS.
The good news is that AccessGap Cover, HIF’s medical gap cover arrangement, is designed to minimise or eliminate these out of pocket expenses for medical services whilst an in-patient in a registered overnight hospital or day facility. Australian doctors can nominate to opt in or out of the AccessGap, which may mean that if you choose an AccessGap Doctor you can have lower out-of-pocket costs.
HIF members now have access to 30,454 doctors and specialists practising in 111,322 locations around Australia who have agreed to participate in AccessGap.
Useful tip: If you hold private hospital cover, it’s always advisable to ask EACH doctor, obstetrician or specialist if they will treat you under the AccessGap arrangement in order to reduce any potential medical gaps. To search for a list of registered participating specialists, please visit our AccessGap Specialists page.
Key questions to ask EACH doctor or specialist:
- Will you treat me under AccessGap cover?
- Will I have any out-of-pocket expenses, and if so, can you provide a written estimation of how much?
- Will any assisting doctors also use AccessGap Cover and if so, how can I obtain a quote for their services?
- Are you prepared to send your bill directly to HIF?
- Am I having a surgically implanted device or prosthesis?
- Will I have to pay a gap?
If you have any queries about AccessGap or need expert assistance, please call us on 1300 13 40 60 or email email@example.com