For the purposes of HIF's fund rules, and as per the Private Health Insurance Act 2007, "Australia" currently includes:
- The State of New South Wales (NSW)
- The State of Queensland (QLD)
- The State of South Australia (SA)
- The State of Tasmania (TAS)
- The State of Victoria (VIC)
- The State of Western Australia (WA)
- The Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
- The Northern Territory (NT)
- The Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands
- The Territory of Christmas Island
From 1 July 2016 however, the PHI Act 2007 will also include Norfolk Island. This amendment forms part of the ongoing Norfolk Island Reform (first announced in March 2015), and Norfolk Island will be included in the same risk equalisation jurisdiction as New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory (NSW/ACT). Similarly; mainland taxation, social security, immigration, biosecurity, customs and health arrangements, including Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, will extend to Norfolk Island from 1 July 2016.
If you live on Norfolk Island and you'd like to join HIF after 1 July 2016, please select "NSW" as your state of residence when applying for cover.
If you are a resident of Norfolk Island aged 31 or over: Please note that you will have 12 months from 1 July 2016 to purchase private hospital insurance cover without incurring the Lifetime Health Cover age loading. If you would like to discuss this further with one of our consultants, please call 1300 13 40 60 or email firstname.lastname@example.org