Private health insurance helps cover the cost of your health care needs. It enables you to claim a benefit from HIF which goes towards the cost of your treatment.
There are two types of private health insurance you can purchase - Hospital Cover and Extras Cover.
What is Hospital Cover?
Our Hospital policies help to cover the costs of inpatient treatment such as hospital accommodation, theatre fees and charges raised by your doctor. All medical services listed under the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) are covered by private hospital insurance, depending on your level of cover. Services such as elective cosmetic surgery though (which are not included on the MBS), are not covered through private hospital insurance under any policy.
There’s a number of reasons why private hospital insurance may be a better option than relying solely on the public system, the most important one being that your policy allows you to choose your own hospital, doctor and specialist, the option to stay in a private room (if it’s available and included on your cover) and the peace of mind knowing that you can avoid lengthy public hospital waiting lists.
To view our Hospital Cover Comparison table, please click here.
What is Extras Cover?
Extras cover provides benefits for non-medical health services that aren't covered by Medicare - for example, ambulance, physio, chrio, dental and optical treatment.
With HIF Extras Cover, there are a range of policies to choose from:
- Premium Options - This is our top Extras cover option, covering all the essentials like dental, chiropractic, physiotherapy, osteopathy and optical, as well as other services like orthoptics (eye therapy), occupational therapy, speech therapy and hearing aids. It's also big on benefits, with larger rebates and higher annual limits all round, plus you get complimentary access to our HIF Second Opinion service.
- Super Options - This is our most popular Extras cover choice. It has practically everything you could wish for - major dental, chiropractic, physiotherapy, osteopathy, optical and healthy lifestyle services to name just a few. Plus, it covers a host of other services like orthoptics (eye therapy), occupational therapy and speech therapy.
- Special Options - This includes essential services like dental, optical, podiatry, chiropractic, pharmacy, physiotherapy, ambulance and more. Special Options also covers Major Dental services (such as orthodontics, crowns and bridges), and also offers higher benefits for services such as Optical and Healthy Lifestyle Services.
- Saver Options - Ideal for young people who want affordable health insurance cover for common services including (but certainly not limited to) general dental, optical, chiropractic, physiotherapy, osteopathy, healthy lifestyle services, complementary therapies and ambulance.
- Vital Options - This is our entry-level Extras for singles and couples. It covers all those vital ‘general treatment’ services you might need including chiro, osteo, physio, emergency ambulance and general dental, plus some endodontic and periodontal items. With Vital Options, we’ll pay a rebate of 50% back for each treatment or service until you reach the $800 per person annual limit.
To view our Extras Cover Comparison table, please click here.