Which HIF Hospital policies cover ART/IVF?
Our Gold Star Hospital Cover option includes ART. As ART procedures are carried out in an operating theatre, you can claim benefits towards your anaesthetist and doctors’ fees when admitted to hospital as an inpatient. You'll also be covered for ward fees, theatre fees and accommodation in a private hospital.
Why choose Gold Star?
- Great for couples and families who want premium private Hospital Cover and total peace of mind
- Lets you choose your own doctor and other specialists
- Lets you choose from over 1,300 private hospitals and day facilities across Australia
- Includes AccessGap cover to help minimise out-of-pocket expenses (see below for more info)
- Offers a choice of hospital excess options to reduce the premium
What about once I'm pregnant?
- Includes unlimited private room accommodation for all hospital services including maternity.
- Lets you choose your own obstetrician
- Allows your partner (or a friend or family member) to stay with you in hospital at no extra cost
- Provides peace of mind knowing you'll be covered if bub arrives prematurely (see below for more info)
- Your child can remain on your policy until they turn 21 (or up to 25 if they're studying full time)
- Provides free access to our HIF Second Opinion service via the global Best Doctors network, allowing you to get a second opinion on any diagnosis, condition or treatment from over 50,000 medical experts worldwide.
- View full Hospital Cover comparison table
If you'd like to receive a medical benefit estimate prior to undergoing ART, simply send us the associated Medicare item numbers (available from your specialist) and we'll be happy to help.
What are the waiting periods for ART/IVF?
Whether we’re answering your call, or helping you switch from another health fund, we don’t like to keep people waiting. But unfortunately waiting periods (the time you have to wait before you can claim for treatment) are a universal necessity. All health funds have them. We wouldn't be able to offer our affordable premiums and generous rebates without them.
Waiting periods protect us and our Members against people who simply join us, claim large amounts and then leave. We always try to keep waiting periods to an absolute minimum though. That’s why, if you join us from another health fund, we’ll take your previous policy into account so you don’t have to re-serve waiting periods on an equivalent level or higher level of cover.
For HIF Hospital Cover, the waiting periods are as follows:
- 2 months: General hospitalisation; Psychiatric care and treatment; In-hospital rehabilitation; and Palliative care.
- 12 months: Pregnancy and Birth.
- 12 months: Pre-existing conditions or ailments.
A pre-existing condition is defined as: ‘Any ailment, illness, or condition where, in the opinion of a medical adviser appointed by the health insurer, the signs or symptoms of that illness, ailment or condition existed at any time in the period of six months ending on the day on which the person became insured under the policy.’ A pre-existing condition can be identified by the presence of signs or symptoms of the illness, ailment or condition (i.e. it’s not necessary for the Member or their doctor to know what their condition is, or for it to be diagnosed). In assessing whether a condition is a pre-existing condition or not, an HIF-appointed medical practitioner will take into account information provided by your treating doctor.
You can also claim a benefit on IVF drugs if you hold our Super Options or Premium Options Extras Cover. In those instances, a 36 month Extras waiting period will apply for ART/IVF drugs.
Want more info?
If you would like to check your eligibility for ART procedures or to find out more about IVF and discuss some options, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Find out more about HIF Hospital Cover.
Use the panels below to learn more about commonly used inpatient services.