If you suffer from diabetes, your GP may advise that you need to use an insulin pump to help your blood glucose levels remain stable.
Is this covered by HIF?
If you have an appropriate level of Hospital Cover in place, you can certainly claim an insulin pump through HIF if you're treated as an inpatient. However, the benefit we can pay varies depending on whether you receive the pump as part of your hospital treatment or not. For example, if you are hospitalised due to diabetes and receive an insulin pump, and it’s included within your private hospital cover, we will pay a benefit towards:
- The cost of the insulin pump
- Your hospital accommodation fees
- Your doctor’s fees (up to the MBS amount)
Important please note:
- A 12 month waiting period applies for pre-existing conditions
- A 2 month waiting period applies for general hospitalisation
- Insulin Pumps are excluded on GoldVital and GoldStarter Hospital Cover
- The insulin pump must be clinically necessary
- The member’s cover must include benefits for the insulin pump; and
- The insulin pump must not be replacing a pump which is within the relevant warranty period (replacement eligibility/warranty is from date of fitting) except in the case of requests for an upgrade for a clinical reason